Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Dr. David. I am 46 and stopped getting my period in January

Customer Question

Hi Dr. David. I am 46 and stopped getting my period in January 2015. Long story short, my GYN finally did an ultrasound (2 at this point) and I started with a 6cm cyst with ovarian volume 89cc(?) and now, 6 weeks later it is 7cm with ovarian volume 96cc. I am bloated, exhausted, and get full easily. In the past month, I have also been getting nauseous. My GYN doesn't want to see my now for a year. Should I get a second opinion? GYN did not do any blood work.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Would you like help from an expert other than Dr. David?Have you had hot flashes?Do you take any medications? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Not really on the hot flashes (maybe twice over the past year). I take no medications.
I think you should get a second opinion. A 7cm ovarian cyst is not normal. Hopefully it's a benign cyst, but 7cm is the size we usually recommend removal. At that size (and since it's gotten bigger), it's likely to be part of an ovarian tumor, rather than just the functional cysts that we see so much. Your other symptoms of bloating and exhaustion may or may not be related to hormonal changes going on with you. You may be menopausal or perimenopausal, and a blood test for FSH would help to figure it out. Bloating and exhaustion are also the symptoms we often see from stress. However, a blood test for hemoglobin and thyroid function would be indicated. So I would get a second opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for taking the time to review my situation. I really appreciate it. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to find another GYN and get a second opinion.
You're welcome. I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For some reason, I am unable to rate our correspondence. 10 stars! I really appreciate you reviewing my situation.
Thank you. If you can't rate us, please push the help button so the moderators can assist you.