Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

About 8 years prior, I was told I had endometrial cancer, and

Customer Question

About 8 years prior, I was told I had endometrial cancer, and a hysterectomy was performed. I went to the first several follow- up appt. and then missed one. I would remember at a time when I wasn't by a phone and forget when I was, so I stopped those check- ups. I am now 62, and for several fays have thought I was dealing with a bit of food poisoning, my stomach has been off, I've been dealing with diarrhea. This afternoon, I used the restroom and discovered I was spotting vaginally. It was bright red in color and I've experienced no other discharges.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It is very unlikely that this is a recurrence of endometrial cancer, so not to worry. Less than 1% chance. You will want to make a Drs appointment as soon as possible for an exam and pap smear. The most likely cause of the bleeding is atrophic vaginitis. This is thinning of the vaginal lining due to lack of hormones. It is very common. Get in as soon as possible but try not to worry.