Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

So I think my body is just responding to stopping

Customer Question

Hello!
So I think my body is just responding to stopping birth control but I am a little worried and would just like some verification that I am either ok or should go see a doctor. I have been on birth control for 10 years without any breaks, multiple methods. I finally called it quits in May 2015. I got a period within a week, then had an obvious ovulation with egg white discharge about two weeks later and another normal period about three weeks later. So two normal periods since I stopped. Then a week after my last period, I had sex a few days in a row. Condom and protected but it was the first time in about 7 months, and I noticed it made me bleed two of the three times. I was sore and hurt internally as well. Then I started spotting and cramping a few days after the last sex and continued to spot for about 4 days. Which is where I am now. I woke up to heavy bleeding this morning, just to go back to light. I have been light bleeding now for about 5 days. What is going on! I feel like my hormones are just out of whack. Should I be seen? Thank you so much for your time!!!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Soreness and pain with sex are not normal. This can be an indication of infection. I would not be overly concerned about the abnormal bleeding. Yes I think you need to see a DR