Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

111mk, 20 July 2015 12:44 Ive been having urinary urgency...

Customer Question

20 July 2015 12:44 Hi Ive been having urinary urgency... Hi Ive been having urinary urgency symptoms for weeks. I have NO UTI though. This has happened to me before. Last year I had a sonogram of the kidneys, cystoscopy, and even went to obgyn for sono
of the ovaries. Still, no answer. Also, noteworthy is I noticed that I had the same problem last year at the same exact time. (July), and the year prior, (July). The symptoms last 2-3 months and go away. What could this be??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, This is Dr. C. Board-certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble without solution. The symptoms you describe might possibly be related to low estrogen levels or dietary bladder irritants. Or a combination of both. Low estrogen levels can be found in women in their 40s or beyond but also in younger women who are on birth control, especially pills and also especially if they are thin. If this is the suspected cause, some vaginal estrogen cream or tablets will be helpful. The symptoms are very common inwomen who are in menopause or nearing menopause. It is usually quite easy to solve. Estrogen cream is cheaper but messier to use. Vagifem tablets are easier to use but more expensive. Women need to check with their insurance to see if they have coverage for both equally.If so, the Vagifem tablets are preferred. Although it's an estrogen product, there is virtually no absorption into the blood stream of estrogen. So even though the package insert (which is required for all estrogen products by the FDA) will say things about breast cancer, blood clots, etc., these warning do not apply to the Vagifem product. There is somewhat more absorption into the blood system with the cream. The only reason why women will definitely want the tablets is if a woman has a history of breast cancer, blood clots or heart attack. The proper usage is to use for the 2 products is as follows:Estrace (estradiol) cream - use 1 gram nightly for 7 nights, than use 1 gram twice weeklyVagifem pellets - use one pellet nightly for 14 nights, than use twice weeklyMost women will notice an improvement within 2 weeks. Common food bladder irritants that can also cause intermittent urgency include citrus, coffee and food high in oxalates: http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/tc/foods-high-in-oxylate-topic-overview I hope this information was reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Interesting ! I do have the mirena in. Have it in place for almost 3 years . Actily I've had the urgency issue for about the same amount of time . But why all 3 times symptoms occurred in beg of July? Does season affect this? And why does it last 2-3 months only?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
The Mirena IUD works in part by suppressing your normal estrogen levels. So this does make some sense. Most symptoms with the IUD do go away over time. It's also possible for symptoms due to low estrogen to come and go. It may depend to some degree on hydration and diet too. I'm glad you found this interesting. Anything else I can help with today?