Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have a question about the effectiveness of birth

Customer Question

Hello... I have a question about the effectiveness of birth control when someone is extremely stressed. I have just recently found out I am pregnant (4weeks) the 2nd time within 9 months. I previously had a medical abortion at 8 weeks.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30 years of experience. I can help you today. I'm sorry that you've been extremely stressed. Generally speaking, stress should not change the effectiveness of contraception. It can interfere with getting pregnancy but usually not the opposite. What experience did you have making you question the impact of stress on birth control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I got pregnant a month that when j had extreme stress and antibiotics. However I haven't missed a pill. This is the 2nd time in 9 months that I have gotten pregnant on birth control. And I am trying to figure out if I should keep the pregnancy. And was wondering if it was an issue for me to have two abortion 9 months apart. The other thing is i am O- blood type and have read a lot of issues that can happen with Rh- blood and I am currently doing a master's degree and just don't know if I should put myself through a potential difficult pregnancy plus my masters. I know you cannot tell me what to do. But any medical advice would help me tremendously. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with the birth control. It seems to me that perhaps the pills aren't the best choice for you. If you've never missed any pills and have gotten pregnant twice anyway, a change to a more effective form in the future sounds like a good idea. An IUD or even the Nuva-ring may work better for you. Also there is a shot form and implant although those have a higher side effect rate. Most women with IUDs are very happy with them. The abortions are not likely to have ahd an impact on your situation. Just that you're obviously quite fertile. O type blood is not a problem of any kind. The blood type is different than the Rh. If you are O type and Rh positive, there are no problems. If you are O type and Rh negative, you are given a shot at the time of the abortion to protect your future pregnancies. Only if you are Rh negative and DID NOT get a shot is there a possible problem for future pregnancies. I hope this was helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Any further questions?
If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!