Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 51 and have not had a menstrual period in 3 years. I woke

Customer Question

I am 51 and have not had a menstrual period in 3 years. I woke up crampy and realized i was
"Spotting" . I am not on any hormone replcement. Is this normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
It's not normal. It's called postmenopausal bleeding. Usually it's from benign causes, but it can be a sign of cancer, so it's important to have it checked.
I would see your doctor, preferably an OB/GYN. He/she will do an exam and probably an ultrasound. If the uterine lining is very thin on the ultrasound, that rules out cancer, and if nothing else is found, that's probably also the cause of the bleeding. Very thin tissue can bleed spontaneously.
In case the lining isn't so thin, you'll need either an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the lining) or a D&C.
If that shows normal tissue or precancerous changes, they can usually be treated with progesterone. Just in case cancer is found, it's the kind that we often can cure with a hysterectomy.