Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I was diagnosed with mild changes in cervix in 2013

Customer Question

Hello I was diagnosed with mild changes in cervix in 2013 and again mild changes in June of 2014. I was diagnosed with hpv in 2010. I was supposed to go for colposcopy last September I haven't done that yet. I noticed some blood in my urine with UTI Stmptoms
last night. I had sexual activity on Friday and I noticed this after 24 hours or so I am worried if this is related to my cervical issue please help
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hpv doesn't cause blood in the ruing or UTI symptoms. Blood in the urine plus UTI symptoms usually mean a bladder infection. I would recommend that you see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
While there, you can have your Pap smear repeated. Mild changes of the cervix are not really worrisome, but they need to be followed, since sometimes they become severe changes. Severe changes are easy to treat, but if ignored, they can become cervical cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any chance the mild changes have become severe in a year?
Yes, there is a chance. Most mild changes don't become severe, and often they go away without treatment. But the reason to repeat the Pap smear is that they can become serious, and they can do so in 1 year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it became severe can it cause these symptoms and can they become cancerous in a year?
It won't become cancerous in a year, but it can become severe pre-cancer in a year. If that should happen it might become cancer in another year or so.
It doesn't cause any symptoms until it becomes cancer. Before that, it's just microscopic changes in the cells.