Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had unprotected sex yesterday at 9:30am is it too late to

Customer Question

I had unprotected sex yesterday at 9:30am is it too late to take the Emc
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** certified Ob-Gyne. I can provide some helpful medical information for you today.
I'm sorry about the accident.
No it's not too late. The Plan B can be taken up to 72 hours afterwards. The sooner it's taken, the more effective it is. It's available over the counter without a prescription.
Taking the Plan B will throw the next 1-2 cycle off. It can cause either bleeding at the wrong time or delayed period. This is normal. It doesn't mean anything about whether the pill worked or not.
To tell if the pill worked, run a home urine pregnancy test 14 days after the accident using the 1st urine of the morning. The morning urine is more concentrated and gives a positive test sooner if pregnant. If that test is negative, you're not pregnant.
This can be a scary situation but you are reacting on time.
I hope this was reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Any follow-up questions?
If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
I hope all went well. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. I aim for excellent customer satisfaction with my service. Thanks!