Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 47 and still have pretty regular periods. Have noticed

Customer Question

I am 47 and still have pretty regular periods. Have noticed slight variations. My mother was 49 when she had her last period. At what point do periods become irregular. Somebody told me I could be 15 years away yet!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with extensive experience in the management of peri-menopausal bleeding patterns. Yes it's true that cycle length variation is common in the late 40s and menopause may still be many years away. The average age of menopause is 51. With what you're describing, it may be that you're going to be average but possibly longer. Most likely not menopausal in the next 1-2 years with the cycles still so regular. Here is a link to an excellent summary of the expected changes in the menstrual cycle with aging. http://www.cascadewomenshealth.org/download/PDFs/HealthEducation/Transitions%20to%20Menopause/Period%20Change%20as%20you%20get%20older.pdf Let me know if that link didn't work for you. I hope this information has been reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.