Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My wife had an ultrasound today and we had a very low

Customer Question

Hi my wife had an ultrasound today and we had a very low fetal hear beat of 73bpm. The doctor was unable to see an yolc sac. They told she was 6 weeks and 2 days as per the ultrasound. They advised to schedule another appointment for ultrasound next week.
Can you pls help me on what's happening. She has had 2 miscarriages one at 5 weeks and next one at 16 weeks with a water break. Can you help out this third one which is current.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that it doesn't look good for this pregnancy. A slow fetal heart rate in itself can be a sign that there will be a miscarriage.
When there is an embryo and heartbeat, but no yolk sac, that is also quite suggestive of miscarriage.
It's not certain, and you'll only know when there is another ultrasound. But I think that it's likely that on the next ultrasound, there will be no heart beat. I'm sorry.