Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am 39 years old and 2 weeks postpartum after delivering

Customer Question

I am 39 years old and 2 weeks postpartum after delivering at 33 weeks due to placenta accreta in an emergency c section hysterectomy.
Since coming home about a week ago I have noticed when lying down to sleep I can hear my heart beat in my left ear. I do not notice at all during the day only during quiet time at night. I am still retaining a bit of fluid from delivery and wondered if that could be a cause. Or is it stress related? I am also under a bit of stress with a toddler and now baby in the NICU. I do suffer from allergies and have had various issues with ear fluid from time to time but never had anything quite like this. I do remember noticing this midway through my pregnancy but it went away. Looking for reassurance that this is not anything serious.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It is not stress, but is more likely due to the normal blood volume changes that occur so rapidly post partum. Resting and staying hydrated can help your body adjust and get back to normal. Its nothing serious and nothing to be concerned about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is it possibly related to the blood loss? I know my hematocrit is about 25.8 still
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it could very well be due to anemia and your body trying to compensate.