Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

My wife is in 12th week of pregnancy. Today we went for

Customer Question

My wife is in 12th week of pregnancy. Today we went for a scheduled check up. But when checked with Ultra sound scan, doctor declared that there are no heart beats and blood flow. Also, the growth is not as per expectation. Hence they informed us that the child is no more and it is a miscarriage.
Now, could you kindly let us know whether the doctor is correct? Should we wait for some more time or do some more checks to ascertain that our child is really no more?
Thanks for your response.
Regards,
Ameer.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to tell you that your doctor is right - no feta heart activity at 12 weeks is a sign that the fetus is no longer viable. Normally the heart rate becomes visible at 6 weeks.
Since the growth is not as per expected, it has been quite some time since the fetus became unviable.
Ultrasounds are very reliable and there is no point in waiting for more time or going for more checks. It will be better to end this pregnancy.