Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm having extremely heavy bleeding that makes me go through

Customer Question

I'm having extremely heavy bleeding that makes me go through multiple pads all day. This has been going on for three days now. I had a high fever the first two days and lower back and stomach pain. What could this be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Have your periods been very regular lately?
Did this period start when expected?
Do you use anything for birth control?
Have you been having heavy periods prior to this one?
Is there any chance of an STD? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really regular no. It didn't start when expected it started a week later. We used a condom for birth control. I haven't had any heavy periods prior to this one
and no chance of STDs
Did you do a pregnancy test when your period was late?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't
With a late period and then heavy bleeding, the most likely cause would be a miscarriage.
The other likely cause for the heavy bleeding, especially with your history of not so regular periods, would be heavy bleeding due to not ovulating and a subequent buildup of the uterine lining.
I'm not sure where the high fever and lower pain come in, but I'm glad the fever has not persisted. Perhaps you had some type of infection that has contributed to the heavy bleeding.
In any case, I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation. A blood test for hcg would tell whether there was any pregnancy. I suspect that it will be negative. In that case, the bleeidng is likely due to the hormonal changes of not ovulating. In that case, it can be controlled using some progesterone pills.