Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am worried I am 54 and my gyn told me that i have a slight abnormal thick uterus

Customer Question

I am worried
I am 54 and my gyn told me that i have a slight abnormal thick uterus
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Did your doctor mean that your uterine lining was thick, or that the uterine wall was thick?
Was this diagnosis made on the basis of an ultrasound? If so, what was the reason for the ultrasound? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I told my Gyn that my period stopped for three months and then I had it regularly again the last two months and so she told me that I m a54 and should not have my periods. She did an ultra sound and told me I had abnormal thickening of the linning and that she advises that she takes andometrial sampling to make sure all is ok.I am panicking now as I thought that I am still not in menopause and that this was normal and now am extremly wooried that I might have cancer.
I have been experiencing some fatigue for the past few months and was also wondering if this is one of the symptoms of cancer
I wouldn't worry. Since you have had regular periods, even though you stopped for 3 months, uterine cancer is very unlikely.
It's probably a good idea for your doctor to do an endometrial sampling, since you have a thickened lining. I would be quite surprised if it showed cancer.
It might possibly show pre-cancer, but that can usually be treated with progesterone.
Women with endometrial cancer are usually past menopause, and have not been having regular periods.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it shows precancer do i need to remove the uterus?
Usually not. Sometimes if it was severe pre cancer, we might recommend hysterectomy. But most of the time, hormonal treatment works well for precancer of the uterus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
precancer means abnormal cells?
Precancer means abnormal cells that have started to shift in the direction of cancer, but are not cancer yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI
I went to see a second opinion today and the Gyn said that the uterus lining is very thin and took a pap smear to check for any abnormalities. There was a tiny black spot in the uterus and she said that it could be due to me getting my period soon and to check it again once I have my period .
I have a picture of the uterus as she took a Vaginal Ultrasound
If you have the report from the ultrasound, that would be more helpful. It can be difficult to interpret an ultrasound picture on line.
However, a very thin uterine lining usually means no cancer, so that's good news.