Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have a very short Luteal phase (normally 7 days) so

Customer Question

Hello, I have a very short Luteal phase (normally 7 days) so I did a hormonal blood test my doctor in France advise. I just get the results but I dont know how to read it. I did the test this morning and my ovulation was on Wednesday evening, so 4 days after. Can you help me ?
- FSH = 2.8 iu/l
- LH = 2.5 iu/l
- Progestrone = 80.2 nmol/l
- 17 Beta Oestradiol = 587 pmol
Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
All of the above tests are completely normal.
The progesterone level of 80 nmol/l confirms that you ovulated. Progesterone of less than 3 means no ovulation. Progesterone above 30 means ovulation has occurred, since the ovaries only make significant amounts of progesterone after ovulation.
With a short luteal phase, that means that your ovaries apparently don't continue to make progesterone for the usual 10 days or so. When the progesterone level drops, that's what brings on your next period.
So a progesterone test done at 7 days may be helpful, to see whether the level has dropped significantly.
Treatment for a short luteal phase can be either to supplement progesterone or else to stimulate the ovaries prior to ovulation, in order to promote a better corpus luteum, the part of the ovary that produces progesterone. Stimulating the ovaries, such as with Clomid, is what is usually recommended.