Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My period comes on about every 30 days and last 7

Customer Question

My period comes on about every 30 days and last for about 7 days. This month, first day, i started spotting, it was brown but only visible when I use the bathroom. The second day it was dark red but not a heavy flow but by the end of the day it had completely stopped. For the next three days it was just brown just like the first day. This is the first time I have ever experienced something like this, I took a pregnancy test the day after the spotting stopped and it was negative. My breast are tingling, I'm still experiencing mild cramps, I feel nausea from time to time, I have no appetite, constipated and headaches. I went to the emergency room cause I had a migraine so bad and I was cramping they did blood work to see if I had any infections and did a regular pregnancy test and everything came back negative. I am so confused!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Most likely your unusual bleeding (It's not really a period) is due to not ovulating. Ovulation is what causes normal periods. As a woman ages, she ovulates less frequently, so it's not unusual at age 34 to miss some ovulations.
When a woman doesn't ovulate, the uterine lining still builds up, and eventually some bleeding will occur. But it may be any type of bleeding, and usually not like a normal period.
The other thing that occurs when there is no ovulation is that the ovaries may continue to be stimulated, and that can cause many symptoms similar to pregnancy, such as breast tingling, nausea, and it can even bring on migraine headaches.
I would recommend that you see an OB/GYN doctor for evaluation. Most likely some progesterone pills will help to clean off the uterine lining, since otherwise the bleeding could continue for some time.
It's likely that your periods won't be so regular in the future as they have in the past.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So are you telling me that I won't have a period this month? I started spotting on the on the 6th of is month and stopped on the 9th and my actual period was due on the 10th, which has not shown but I am still cramping.
Correct, I doubt that you'll have a period this month, if I'm correct that you haven't ovulated. Ovulation is what causes the hormonal changes that brings on a period. If there is no ovulation, there may still be some bleeding, but it won't usually be like a normal period.
So this bleeding might continue off and on, or perhaps it will stop for a while. There is no way to predict what will happen.
In case you do ovulate, then you would get a normal period 2 weeks later.