Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am taking Cipro to clear up what seemed to be a bladder infection...but

Customer Question

I am taking Cipro to clear up what seemed to be a bladder infection...but after being on it for three days, my symptoms seem to be getting worse. I have a prescription for diflucan. Can I stop taking the Cipro and start the diflucan. (I took another antibiotic for seven days before starting the cipro) I am thinking it may have been a yeast infection the entire time.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I suggest that you finish the course of Cipro before you take the Diflucan. Meanwhile, you can use a over the counter anti-yeast cream. Since you will be taking Cipro, I recommend you purchase a "combination pack" 7 day cream. This will have cream you insert into your vagina nightly and additional cream to apply to the area around the labia. You have only 2 more days of the Cipro and once you finish that you take the Diflucan if the combination pack has not been effective in controlling the symptoms.