Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have awful left-sided ovary pain. I can't even rest on my

Customer Question

I have awful left-sided ovary pain. I can't even rest on my left side without stabbing pain. I have this experience in the past in 2012, had an ultrasound, which showed a small cyst. Pain persisted, I had an MRI in 2013 but nothing gynecological was revealed.
Right now I have the left-sided ovary pain, breasts are swollen. I just turned 35, is this likely a cyst or should I worry about cancer? I have lost a lot of weight in the last year (20 pounds) and am now just a little under 120 lbs. This weight loss is probably due to a divorce I had earlier in the year and subsequent depression, which I still struggle with. I have had a lot of blood tests, including a recent C-Reactive protein test, which was normal.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I think that cancer is unlikely, since most pain in the area of the ovaries in 35 year old women is not from cancer. An ovarian cyst is more likely the cause of the p;win, and there are other possible causes, such as endometriosis, pelvic infection, benign tumors, and sometimes we never find the cause.
With such awful pain, it's certainly a good idea to see your doctor and have an ultrasound. That will rule out ovarian cancer and show whether you have a cyst or not. Then your doctor can figure out how to help relieve your pain, depending on the cause.
Ovarian cysts don't usually cause pain unless they leak, rupture, or twist. If they twist, it cuts off the blood supply, and surgery may be needed.
The swollen breasts suggest hormonal changes, probably related to your age and the stress. If you haven't gotten counseling for your divorce problems and stress, perhaps that would also be helpful. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** *****This morning after I woke up, I felt intense cramps, that felt like the worst menstrual cramps, ever. It lasted a good ten minutes and then I took ibuprofen and it went away. Now I have a bad headache. I am wondering if I am going to start my period a bit early? But I never had ovary pain right before a period, not that I know of.
I think that you may or may not be ready to start a period. At age 35, many women have various changes in their periods and in how their bodies change with their hormones.