Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

On June 19th I had unprotected sex. I got my period on June

Customer Question

On June 19th I had unprotected sex. I got my period on June 25th. (I took the morning after pill). Today I noticed some brown discharge, spotting I also have tender brests.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. It's normal to have some irregular bleeding pattern after taking the morning after pill. This can include extra spotting and even a skipped period. That doesn't mean the pill didn't work. It can take up to 2 months for the period cycle to get back to normal after taking the morning after pill. So as long as the home urine pregnancy test is negative, no worries. A home urine pregnancy test should be taken 14 days after using the morning after pill just to make sure it worked. This is true no matter what the bleeding pattern is. If you haven't run a test yet, then do that first. Any questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I haven't taken a home pregnancy test. This sounds silly but what would a pregnant belly feel ljke
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
First there would be other symptoms more obvious than how the belly feels. In very early pregnancy, there can be slight cramping similar to when your period is about to start. Also many women have breast tenderness, fatigue and frequent urination. But those early symptoms can also be seen with PMS or the hormonal changes due to taking the morning after pill. So doing a pregnancy test is always the best bet for figuring it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you recon I am pregnant or no
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Most likely not but it's impossible to tell without running a test. Symptoms aren't a reliable way to tell. A pregnancy test is needed to tell. They are very accurate.