Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 63 years old and just recently have had the very tip of

Customer Question

I am 63 years old and just recently have had the very tip of the nipple on my left breast occasionally invert but it pops right out when touched and does not stay inverted.
It happened for the first time last Friday as I noticed it when I removed my bra. I was able to manually revert it back and it did not happen again until later the next day. Then it stopped for several days and this evening I noticed it did it again. I am making appointments for my OB/BYN and a mammography in the morning but I wanted to know if it could be other causes besides breast cancer.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Occasional inversion of the nipple is fairly common after the menopause. this is because the low estrogen levels in the blood lead to loss of breast tissue and fat from the breasts. As the results, the skin of the nipple lose support, become less firm and may get inverted. Being manually able to revert the nipple is a good sign since it indicates that there is no abnormal growth pulling the the nipple. In breast cancer, abnormal cells tend to pull and cause inversion of the nipple - in this case, the nipple cannot be reverted back to the original position. I believe that your nipple inversion is due to menopausal changes rather than breast cancer.