Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 25 years old, and had sex with my boyfriend

Customer Question

Hi, I am 25 years old, and had sex with my boyfriend for the first time this past saturday night/sunday morning. We used a condom both times, on saturday it was about 29 days since my last period ended so i have been expecting to get it for the past few days and nothing. I'd now consider myself late. the longest ive gone between cycles was probably about 32 days. I'm feeling kind of off since yesterday after i had a little bit of peanut butter and crackers. I've been going to the bathroom a lot (diarrhea), my anxiety has been high as well since yesterday, and i was on the verge of tears last night. Today im feeling a little bit of cramping like i would right before i get my period. I'm nervous that I may be pregnant, is that a really strong possibility?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Prior to having sex, would you say that your stress level was higher than usual?
Has your weight changed in the recent past? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My stress level is a little higher than normal, i suppose, its possible. I am managing a full time work schedule while trying to get the brick and mortar things done for my new business, which is proving to be a little difficult. I have gained about 10 pounds in the past month i think as well although i have not weighed myself. I haven't been as cognizant of my diet as I usually like to be. I am a bit over weight to begin with, but have never had irregularity due to my weight since it has remained fairly steady, no yo-yoing at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for all of your help, too. sorry i did not include that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also might add that my last period was a little odd. it was about a week late, and stopped two days in completely. It then restarted and i bled for another 4 days, ending in the beginning of june.
Pregnancy is quite unlikely. It's much more likely that you didn't ovulate this month, and that's the reason that your period hasn't come.
I'm pretty sure that this period was going to be late, whether you had sex or not. If you got pregnant during sex, that results in a late period 2 weeks following, not in the next week after sex.
Most likely the reason for not ovulating is a combination of stress and weight gain. Either one alone can result in a missed ovulation, and the two together are more likely to cause it.
So I wouldn't worry about pregnancy. The only way you could be pregnant is if your ovulation was delayed so long that you ovulated around the time you had sex. This would be rare.
Most likely your period will come sometime, although it's anybody's guess just when. If you don't get a period for 2 weeks after the sex, then do a pregnancy test, just to be sure. It takes about 2 weeks after conception for a pregnancy test to reliably be positive.
Meantime, I would work on the stress and weight gain, partly so this doesn't happen again in the future. Exercise, good nutrition, sufficient sleep are all important.
Your previous unusual last period is also suggestive that your cycles are getting thrown off, probably also by the stress and weight gain. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for taking your time out and helping me! I thought I was being a little paranoid but a couple of my girlfriends were like, "ITS POSSIBLE! So and so knew the next day." And they made me totally paranoid ! I'll keep an eye on everything but thank you for all of your help!
You're welcome. I wouldn't worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I just got it! All that worrying for nothing haha, thank you again.
You're welcome again.