Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am late on my menstrual cycle by 5 days. Pregnancy tests

Customer Question

I am late on my menstrual cycle by 5 days. Pregnancy tests are all negative.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only medications I take on a daily basis is Zoloft, Xanax, and Trazadone.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** certified Ob-Gyne. I can provide some helpful medical information for you today.
Home urine pregnancy tests are very accurate. The only reason for false negatives in very early pregnancy is if the test was taken after a woman has been drinking a lot of water before taking the test. That's why we recommend using the first urine of the morning.
If no pregnancy, there are many other possible reasons for a late period. The most common is stress. Many women skip a few periods during their lives due to stress. So if this is your first skip, it's safe to just watch for now and see if things get back to normal within 2 months. If not, we look for other possible causes of the skips.
Various medications can cause period skips. This is possible but rare with Zoloft and Trazadone.
Other causes of skips include thyroid disorder and increased prolactin hormone levels (which is how Trazadone can cause skips). Eating disorders and excessive exercise are other possible causes.
We also think of the possibility of a condition called PCOS but only if there is a longer history of skips along with increased weight and excess hair growth. Early menopause is another rare cause that we look for with blood tests.
So the bot***** *****ne is that you can believe the pregnancy test. Then watch to see if things go back to normal or not. If the skips continue, some blood tests would be the next step to figure out the cause. Blood tests include thyroid, prolactin and possible FSH, testosterone, estradiol and DHEAS levels depending on the details of your history and exam.
I hope this has been reassuring and helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Any follow-up questions?
If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
I haven't heard back from you. Is there anything else I can help with? I have really a lot of experience helping women with skipped periods so can answer any follow-up questions you have.
If no more questions, click on rating for my service. I aim for excellent.