Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Can shedding old menstrualblood cause a UA to have protein

Customer Question

Can shedding old menstrualblood cause a UA to have protein amd occult blood 2+ rbc 5-10 squamous cells moderate and bacteria 1+
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Old or new menstrual blood can cause a UA to have all the above. We try to get a clean catch urine specimen, so that it's not contaminated by menstrual blood. This is usually accomplished more or less, depending on how carefully the urine is collected.
Any menstrual blood that gets into the urine collection can cause the UA to have protein, blood, squamous cells and bacteria.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So more than likely this is what caused it then.my doctor tried to do a pap but wad unable to due to the shedding of old blood. He said that was why I showed all this. So you agree. I'm 39 no health issues but this was scary. Also this morning I ha d a white flaky thing in my urine. It looked like kleenex wet lol

If you have no urinary symptoms, it sounds likely that the old menstrual blood caused the UA findings.
If there is doubt, a catheterized urine (tube through urethra to obtain a sterile specimen) could be done. With no symptoms, I doubt that it's necessary.
The other way to check it out would be to wait until there is no old menstrual blood present, and then collect a good clean catch urine specimen.
I'm not sure about the white flaky thing in your urine, but again, it's likely to be something that the urine washed into the toilet, rather than something that came from inside the bladder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you don't think it's anything serious? The rbc being 5-10 is that normal just coming from the old blood

I doubt that it's anything serious. Any old menstrual blood present in the vagina can cause 5-10 rbc or even more in the UA. However, it's probably important to be sure by either collecting another specimen later or by a catheter specimen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have no other symotoms. My doc was confident that amother test wasn't necessary. He is just a family doc that had known me 27 years but he isn't an ob. So I wanted to ask you. Here are the rest of my results just so you can see if anything isn't from that . Also I was about 6 days from my cycle when this was done. Assuming I start day 28:)

The results are as you had stated.
I guess I would still recommend repeating the UA to be sure that those things were contaminants and not actually in your urine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume odds are likely it did contaminate it if he couldn't even swab me for a pap right? As soon as he put the metal thing in he knew right away. He told me if he found something down there that was a good sign lol. Neve r thought in would hear that. If you were doing an exam after a pee test would this be your thoughts too

Yes, if I was doing an exam and found blood present, I would suspect that the urine specimen was likely contaminated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The day before I was bleeding bright red just a little. Then the day after I had a dark discharge. Would my test results have shown something else in the other categories of it wad something serious like kidney disease or something. I appreciate your help

The problem is that kidney disease can cause protein, occult blood and rbc's in a UA.
It seems to me that if a doctor wants to do a UA (not all doctors do a UA at a routine exam), then the findings should not be ignored. We can guess that the findings are due to contaminating blood, but it's possible to know, but repeating the UA when there is no menstrual blood present. Without the repeat UA, we're all just guessing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I went in because last Friday I went in cuz my back hurt. They did a ua and found the blood and protein. They sent it off and no infection. I then went to my regular doc on Monday. He then retested me and said I could come back again and retest or he could do a pelvic exam and see if he found anything. He then said he would do my pap since it was due. My neighbor who is a chiropractor popped my back and it felt much better during the weekend. Would I have other symptoms if it was KD? My blood pressure is good no pain. Urinating no fever no pain or anything. I'm only 39. Would your first thoughts be a kidney issue you saw these results and did my exam or would u think result is from old blood

You say that your regular doc retested you. So there was blood and protein on both specimens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes only 3 days apart

Chronic kidney disease often has no symptoms early in the course. The first sign may be blood and protein on UA.
My first thought would be that the UA findings are from contamination. However, I would want to be sure about that, but repeating the UA when there is no menstrual blood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would the results have had higher numbers if it was KD

Not necessarily. The same findings could be seen in kidney disease.
I don't understand why you're arguing about this. Do you wish to know whether the UA results are real or not, or would you rather guess?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm freaked out and my cycle isn't supposed to startbtil at least this weekend so then I have to wait another week
You don't have to wait until a period. You can get the UA anytime when you're not bleeding.
If you're continuously bleeding, then you have another problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But I was shedding 2 days ago

If you put a tampon in today or tomorrow or the next day and there is no blood on it, then you can get your UA done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just did. Blood and dark discharge. I know you can't say for sure but do you honestly feel it's is from that then being a KD. Can u take a ua with a tampon in to block it

I don't understand. Are you having some bleeding every day?
I doubt that you have kidney disease. But if I were you, I'd want to be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not on my panties. I always shed a week out before my next cycle. It's more discharge than anything

How old are you?
How regular are your periods?
Do you use anything for birth control?
When you say that you shed a week before your next cycle, does that mean you see blood for a week before your periods?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm 39

pretty regular

no birth control

not really blood dark discharge. The discharge I only see every now and then. Like this time I didn't know til my doc told me. Then when I just put in a tampon same color discharge

A dark discharge for a week before periods doesn't sound normal to me, but that's a separate issue.
I would wait until after your next period, when there is no blood or dark discharge, and then get the UA.
If you can't wait, then ask your doctor for a catheterized UA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see the discahrge. I only see it for a day or so.

If there is no discharge on a tampon, you should be able to get a good urine specimen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can u get one if you leave a tampon on no matter what

Can you get what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you have a discharge but have a tampon in can you go ahead and take the ua

Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Took dipstick no blood but protein 100 on stick. Is that 1plus

I think 100 might be 2 plus. The directions with the dipstick should say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's what urgent care doc said. Just 100. Ok. The test I showed you results was 2plus too. This time no blood. What r your thought

My thought is that you need to have a real UA done in a doctor's office to know whether your urine is normal or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But everything else was fine. If no blood showed up its just protein stuff again right? She said protein was 100. Is this good or bad? I'm just trying to find this out

If protein of 100 means 2 plus, that's too much. I'm not sure how your dipstick works.

We generally consider trace protein is normal, anything more than that needs evaluation or repeating.