Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I was doing a breast self exam and felt some bumpy areas, especially

Customer Question

I was doing a breast self exam and felt some bumpy areas, especially in the nipple area. Both sides seem to match and nothing stands out. It feels like a cord and ridges with bumps and valleys. It feels very simular to what I feel on my flabby arms and stomach. I also have a noticeable vein close to my left areola. There is no reddness, no swelling, no itching, no scaling skin or nipple discharge or soreness.. Is this normal or should I be concerned. I am 53, with no health issues. I ve given birth to 12 full term babies, no miscarriages or abortions, breast feed almost 7 years total lifetime, no family history, no smoking ir drinking, given birth first baby at 21. Started my period at 12 and ended at 51. Never took birth control pill or eestrogen. Thank you.....worried
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Have you had a mammogram?
When was your last breast exam by a doctor? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been awhile for breast exam. Necer mammogram
I suspect that what you're feeling is fibrocystic changes in your breasts, but I urge you to see a doctor and have a mammogram.
All the things that you mentioned about periods, breast feeding, family history, etc. are good, but breast cancer can occur in any woman. Mammograms are good for everyone, and especially when there is any concern, such as your bumpy areas.
As long as your doctor doesn't feel any specific lump and your mammogram is normal, then I would say there is no worry. Best wishes.