Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

After having sex with a new partner who has been tested for

Customer Question

After having sex with a new partner who has been tested for stds, I have a white milky discharge with a fishy odor and some pain in my lower abdominal area
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems after each time I have sex this happens and it's usually a yeast infection, I'm just trying to make sure that's what it is so I can get monistat if needed. The smell isn't as bad as it has been before but it's pretty fishy which is unusual for me. The discharge just keeps coming and coming
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How long does the discharge with the fishy odor last after having sex?
Do you get itching with the discharge?
Have you had the discharge checked by a doctor? If so, what was the diagnosis?
Do you douche? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It last for about majority of the day and yes I douched the day of heeding sex wuthering my now boyfriend. Before my diagnosis was yeast infection, vaginitis and PID
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No itching though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also been getting dizzy alot,but that was happening before hand this issue
A discharge with a fishy odor is usually caused by a condition called bacterial vaginosis (BV), which is not really an infection but rather a change in vaginal bacteria from the good ones to others that aren't so good. It can be diagnosed using a microscope and is treated with certain antibiotics.
When there is a fishy odor after intercourse that only lasts a day or so, that's also related to the type of bacteria present in the vagina, where the alkaline pH of the semen brings out the fishy odor from the bacteria. As long as it only lasts a day, it doesn't need any treatment, as it goes away on its own.
BV is more common in women that douche, since douching washes out the good bacteria as well as the bad. The good bacteria are needed to maintain a normal vagina. So not douching will usually be helpful in the long run.
It's quite unusual to have a yeast infection without itching.
BV has a tendency to come back, and this can be a difficult problem. Usually it's best to work with your doctor to figure out the best way to deal with it, including certain antibiotic pills, creams or suppositories. Sometimes it's helpful to also use lactobacillus acidophilus suppositories to help maintain the good vaginal bacteria.