How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K. Your Own Question
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 4210
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been experiencing severe itching in my vaginal area.

Customer Question

I have been experiencing severe itching in my vaginal area. What could be causing this and what can I do to treat it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
If you have not had a gyn exam in some time, you will need one to rule out common skin conditions. Lichen sclerosis is a common dermatologic skin condition that occurs in women over 40. More likely would be a yeast infection. Treat yourself with an over the counter 3 day treatment that contains clotrimazole. that should clear things up if it is yeast.