Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I seem to have developed . V.and as a result my scent is quite

Customer Question

I seem to have developed b. V.and as a result my scent is quite off which now limits my previously routine sexual activity. Im afraid to allow my partner"down there" for fear of rejection. What can I do to restore the previous sweet environment
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
Hello,BV is caused by the overgrowth of bacteria like Gardnerella or E.coli. It causes a somewhat fishy smell which can be quite strong. The overgrowth of bacteria is usually due to a change in the vaginal ph. The smel cannot be removed completely unless BV is treated and the excess bacterial overgrowth decreases. While medicines like metronidazole can help in eliminating BV, you c can also to maintain the vaginal ph by eating at least 200 gms of yogurt daily. the lactobacillus in te yogurt is excellent for maintaining the acidic ph of the vagina. You can also apply yogurt directly inside the vagina with the back of a spoon or by dipping a tampon into the yogurt and then inserting it inside. Acidophillus tablets , available in any medicine store , and available without a prescription also helps. Baking soda is another ingredient that can be used to balance the pH level in your body. Add one-half cup of baking soda to your bathwater and soak your lower body in it for about 20 minutes. You can also add apple cider vinegar to your bathwater and soak in it - this will eliminate most vaginal odors. Besides this, avoid douching, perfumed pads and tampons or vaginal washes. Wear plain cotton panties, loose fitting clothes. which will allow your vagina to breathe preventing odors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did take a vaginal health test which indicates whether or not your ph is off perhaps a more definitive indicator of BV or other vaginosis. the test proved negative and I have no itching burning or excessive discharge.
Could my ph just vary without true BV? would probiotic capsules aimed precisely toward vaginal and urinary health help?
I will certainly test again in a few days
Yes, your vaginal ph can vary without a full blown BV and this too can cause a change in the vaginal odor. Probiotic capsules would definitely help in maintaining vaginal health.