Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had my period on Jun 1st. It lasted the usual amount of time

Customer Question

I had my period on Jun 1st. It lasted the usual amount of time (six days). I usually have a 28 day cycle so I was suprised when I started bleeding again on the 20th and stopped on the 21st. I had unprotected sex earlier that week and thought I might be implentation bleeding. I took an early detection test today and it was negative. Did I take the test too soon? Should I be concerned?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Did your June 1 period come just when expected? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it did.
In case that was implantation bleeding on June 20, a pregnancy test would almost certainly have been positive by today. So I suspect that the bleeding was related to not ovulating rather than to implantation.
At age 35, women usually don't ovulate every month. When ovulation doesn't occur, the uterine lining can build up, which can lead to irregular bleeding.
So most likely you're not pregnant, but I'd probably repeat the pregnancy test in a couple of days, just to be sure.
If the test stays negative, then I would just wait for your period to come. If you wish to be pregnant, then I'd see your doctor for help to be sure that you ovulate every month. Best wishes.