Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

My daughter is 42 yrs old and has been on her period

Customer Question

My daughter is 42 yrs old and has been on her period for two months. the doctor says the only thing she can recommend is taking birth control pills and vitamin D. Dnc's are no longer performed?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C, board-certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry that's the only thing the doctor is offering. I wonder if she's seeing a gynecologist? If not she should. If this doctor is a gynecologist, then perhaps a second opinion would be helpful. Your daughter is having an abnormal bleeding pattern. There are many possible reasons for this, some of which are hormonal and may respond to birth control pills. But there are other options. Usually we'd take a complete history, get some blood work and a pelvic ultrasound. Those results would direct us to the next step. This may include a hysteroscopy with D&C possibly. Sometimes there are polyps and small fibroids on the lining that can be removed with camera guidance (hysteroscopy). Removal can solve the abnormal bleeding. f there are no such lesions as a cause of the bleeding, there are other options for treating abnormal bleeding besides birth control pills. The best option depends on more details of her exact situation. Please reply if I can clarify anything or give more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.