Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

My wife is 40 yrs old. She is lactating very, very heavily.

Customer Question

My wife is 40 yrs old. She is lactating very, very heavily. Milk easily can be taken from both breast at pretty much any time of the day. We have two sons, ages 4 and 2. Her periods have been regular, but light. We have taken two pregnancy test. Both have been negative. She has gained about 15 pounds over a period of the past three months. My question is a) do women who are not pregnant lactate? and b) based on what you know, is she pregnant? and c) how can we find out for sure? (blood test?)
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome and Thank you for your query posted. Have you got her Prolactin levels done?High levels of Prolactin are known to cause heavy lactation. Blood test called Beta HCG level confirms pregnancy.Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
have you done her Prolactin levels?
I would be happy to assist you .