Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

When wiping after urination, I felt something bulging from

Customer Question

when wiping after urination, I felt something bulging from my vagina. I checked with a mirror and it looked sac-like. It is Friday night. Should I go to the emergency room?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone #(###) ###-#### ( I don't do texting)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 2:38 a.m. How long will I have to wait?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget the phone call -- just type.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I'm sorry for the long wait.
You don't need to go to the emergency room unless you're having pain from this bulge.
You apparently have some type of prolapse, where the supporting tissues in the pelvic area have gotten weak, and the area has stretched and dropped.
This could be your bladder bulging, which we call a cystocele.
It could be your rectum bulging, which we call a rectocele.
Or it could be a hernia of the upper vaginal wall with small intestine bulging down, called an enterocele.
In any case, this is not an emergency situation unless some intestine gets trapped, in which case you would have significant pain.
I would make an appointment to see an OB/GYN doctor for evaluation. A bulge like this can be treated with a pessary or surgery, but only needs treatment if it is significantly bothersome.
A pessary is something the doctor fits in your vagina that supports the bulge and keeps it from coming out.
Surgery involves bringing supporting tissues together to hold the bulge up inside. Sometimes a vaginal hysterectomy is also done, if the uterus also is dropping significantly.
In the meantime, sometimes you can place a large tampon to hold things up.