Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 51. i had a period on the 17th of june and got another

Customer Question

i am 51. i had a period on the 17th of june and got another one today just 8 days after. had bad cramping and blood is bright red. Is this a symptoms of peri menopause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Have your periods been regular up until now?
Did the 17 June period start when expected?
Do you have hot flashes?
When was your last pelvic exam? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never had pelvic.cycles have become irregular and have had some hot episodes. Cycles are always on time except for 2 months ago i was 3 weeks late
Your irregular periods and hot episodes are symptoms of perimenopause.
However, bleeding less than 10 days after your last period suggests that you have some extra buildup of your uterine lining. This buildup is related to the hormonal changes of perimenopause, but can also result in precancerous changes over time.
If your cycles were very regular and normal until 2 months ago, then I don't think there is anything to worry about. The bleeding may resolve on its own. However, if it doesn't, or if you get further bleeding within a few weeks of a period, then you should see a doctor for evaluation. Assuming that the bleeding is from hormonal changes and thick uterine lining, it can be resolved by some progesterone pills.
If you've never had a Pap smear, I would strongly advise you to see a doctor for an exam and Pap smear. We don't see cervical cancer today except in women who don't have regular Pap smear. Since you've never had a pelvic exam, then cervical cancer is another possible cause for the bleeding. Pap smears are important.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.My cycles have become erratic over the last few months, sometimes it is 4 weeks, then 3 , then 7, then 2 etc. Are cramps normal in perimenopause due to hormonal changes? Never really had bad cramps before. Other than a few hot flash episodes, no other symptoms. Temperature is 96 or 97, blood pressure 94/68 no nausea, vomiting.
Cramps aren't usually part of the picture. The cramps might be due to heavier bleeding and clots, or perhaps you have something else in your uterus like fibroids or polyps. It would require an exam and perhaps an ultrasound to determine that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had pelvic today - found nothing abnormal. But I am having heavier bleeding with a small clot and is bright red. Is this normal after pelvic exam?
No, it's not normal. It's another sign that there is some problem inside your uterus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'm sorry, but I don't do phone calls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. so what are my next steps - no one can find anything
I think that you need an endometrial biopsy. This is done with a small tube through the cervix that samples the uterine lining.
Assuming that it's normal, then I would recommend some progesterone pills to clean out the extra buildup of the uterine lining. That should help to make your periods more normal, prevent bleeding after a pelvic exam, and probably help to relieve the pain.
Hopefully you've also had a Pap smear now.