Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I just had protected anal sex and the partner says he is clean

Customer Question

I just had protected anal sex and the partner says he is clean and the condom didn't break. However I'm seeing boils in and around my anus. What does this mean ? Should I be worried of an std. It was a homosexual intercorse.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This boils occurred before I ever had anal sex about two months ago, I assumed it was due to my constipation as it was painful.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Are they actual boils (reddened, inflamed, filled with pus), or could it be hemorrhoids, which are swollen veins found at the anus? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are boils, a series of boils.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About three to five in and around the anus. My guess is due to the expansion of the anus more than it could handle.
Anal abscesses (boils) may be caused by std's such as gonorrhea and chlamydia, or may be caused by other common fecal bacteria.
There are glands just inside the anus which can become infected and develop boils. Since you developed boils there before having anal intercourse, they were not the result of an std. However, the current boils may or may not be due to an std. It will require testing at the time of treatment in order to know.
Treatment often consists of drainage of the boils under local anesthesia. Antibiotics may also be used, but antibiotics often cannot reach the infection inside the boils, which is why drainage is important.
You're correct that stretching from anal intercourse is likely an aggravating factor in the development of the boils. The stretching may cause tears, which allow bacteria to enter.
So I would see a colo-rectal specialist (proctologist) or other doctor skilled in anal problems. In the meantime, heat is helpful, usually sitting in warm water about 3 times daily. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, do you think its an std tho ?
It may or may not be an std. The only way to know is by testing the pus.