Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

My 15 years old sister had her right ovary surgically

Customer Question

My 15 years old sister had her right ovary surgically removed over two years ago, due to formation of a large cyst. She had very small cyst on the left side, and she had the regular ultra-sound to keep an eye on it, and she was having medicines to control it. Last time, over 2 months ago, the size was still normal. However last week when she had an ultra-sound test, they found out that the size has dangerously increased, and she'll need to have a surgery ASAP to remove the cyst.
The fact that she had already lost one ovary, makes the whole thing very risky and insecure. I would like to attach a picture of ultra-sound and the test results, so you can help me with the following questions:
1- According to evidence, do you think another surgery is necessary?
2- If answer to the above is yes, is endoscopy the right procedure, or since the size of cyst sounds a bit large, they should make a cut directly?
3-Since I couldn't find an Egg Bank to freeze an egg for her, what are the precaution we should take to keep the fertility as high as possible.
4-Any questions that I need to ask the surgeon doctor to help us and her to make the right call?
Thanks,
Moe
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attachements
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
Hello, 1. Yes, as per the ultrasound attached, she does nee d a surgery - the cyst is quite large and needs to be removed. 2. Yes, endoscopy is the right procedure - large cysts can be removed by laparoscopy. The cyst is usually drained by special tubes and then removed, making the size much smaller at the time of removal. 3. The main thing that can be done to maintain her fertility is to ask the doctor to keep as much ovarian tissue as possible - he/she will probably do that since that is standard procedure in young women who has not completed their families. Although the cyst looks large, there will still be some amount of ovarian tissue which can be preserved. 4. You can ask the doctor if any special precautions will be used to prevent adhesions (scarring) inside the abdomen since that may affect her fertility. I hope that helps.