Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

What are the symptoms infections vs UTI. I have

Customer Question

What are the symptoms for yeast infections vs UTI. I have had a total hystawreckame (MS) and am having trouble figuring out if i have a yeast infec. or UTI
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. Classic symptoms of yeast include pretty intense itching and a curdy thick white discharge. Classic symptoms of a UTI are burning with urination and frequency. This means you just went and feel like going again. Sometimes women can have some mild itching, burning, pain with urination and frequency due to low estrogen levels causing thinning of the tissue in the area. Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do i take for a UTI. Do i needed a urine test?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Whether a urine test is needed or not depends on the situation. Usually not. If a women seems to be having repeated infections, then yes, she should come in since other conditions can mimic UTIs or she may have a strain resistant to the most commonly used antibiotics for treatment. Also if a woman is at or near menopause I usually have her come in since low estrogen levels will mimic UTI and/or cause recurrences if the health of the tissue isn't treated too. Some women are able to flush out an early UTI by drinking a lot of water and taking cranberry extract. An over the counter medicine called Uristat can help relieve the spasms of the bladder temporarily. But if this doesn't help within 48 hours or symptoms get worse before that, an antibiotic is needed. Anything else I can help with?