Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

If I was pregnant with twins and aborted 6 years ago, what

Customer Question

If I was pregnant with twins and aborted 6 years ago, what are the chances of me having twins again
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
It partly depends on whether your twins were fraternal (2 separate eggs) or identical (from a single egg). I assume there is no way for you to know that, since the twins were aborted.
In case your twins were fraternal, then the chance of having twins again is high, about 1 in 12. If the twins were identical, then the chances for twins are about the same as for anyone else, about in 90.
Identical twins occur when one fertilized egg spits into two very early. The chances are the same for every woman, and we don't know why it occurs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were fraternal..I'm assuming because there were 2 sacs on ultrsound
There are almost always 2 sacs on ultrasound, whether they are identical or fraternal. A single sac would confirm identical twins, but that's quite rare.