Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Lupron

Customer Question

I have a question regarding Depo-lupron. A little history: I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 15 (now 37). I've had several surgeries and have been treated with Lupron sporadically over the years. My last surgery was this year at the end of January. I had mild-moderate endo, and my doc recommended a 3 month course of Lupron (with prempro for add-back). I had my last Lupron shot on April 23. I stopped my prempro mid-May. How long does it generally take for Lupron to exit your body, and for periods to start again. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant, and I'm a little antsy and impatient. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you!

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It takes one to 6 months to begin to ovulate again after a Lupron course. It does not take any time for the Lupron to wear off. After four weeks there is no Lupron depot left in the body. It just takes longer sometimes for periods to resume. There is nothing you can do to change that.