Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have a gential bump, lesion, boil. It is hard and painful.

Customer Question

Hi, i have a gential bump, lesion, boil. It is hard and painful. It has been present for 6 weeks. I am cipro 250mg, twice a day fir an unrelated condition. But this bump has not resolve.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Where is the bump located?
How large is it? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Genital area, about half an inch. Hard oval shaped, beneath the skin
A boil is an abscess, meaning that it's a pocket of pus. Sometimes a boil will resolve using heat and antibiotics, but more often they will require drainage.
Often a boil will drain spontaneously, but if not, it probably requires surgical drainage. Since it's been there for 6 weeks, it may also require surgical removal.
Your boil may have begun as an infected hair follicle or a blocked oil gland (sebaceous cyst). If it's located near the vaginal entrance and a little toward the back, it might be a Bartholin cyst abscess. There is even some chance of cancer.
I would encourage you to seek medical attention. At the least, I think the boil needs drainage. Possibly it might also need a biopsy. Best wishes.