Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

What is the average time an HPV infection can clear

Customer Question

what is the average time an HPV infection can clear
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
Most women clear it by the time they are due for a repeat pap in 1 year. Average clearance is around 6-12 months but can range from 3 to 36 months. Rarely, a person will not clear and become a chronic carrier.
If a chronic carrier, it's helpful to subtype to check to see if it's type 16 or 18 which are more likely to cause trouble over time. With those 2 types, there is about a 25% chance of progression to a precancer that requires treatment. But if not one of those 2 types, it's likely closer to 5% chance.So even most chronic carriers of HPV, never progress to worrisome cervical conditions. Just require more frequent pap smear monitoring than women who test negative for HPV.
I hope this has been reassuring and helpful.