Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I got my period twice last summer and it was very light brown discharge. I got the same so

Customer Question

I got my period twice last summer and it was very light brown discharge. I got the same sort of thing two days ago and yesterday and today it turned into yellow orange thick discharge. I'm not sure if it is my period or something that I should be concerned about
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
It's bleeding, but we wouldn't really call it a period, although it is in a way.
When young girls first start having periods, they often don't ovulate for some time. Your ovaries are working and making hormones, which is what causes the bleeding. It's once you ovulate that the bleeding will be more like a real period.
That will come with time. For now the bleeding and orange discharge means that the estrogen from your ovaries is building up the uterine lining, which after a while starts to bleed.
With time, you will develop regular periods. Sometimes that takes a year or more. In the meantime, it's nothing to be concerned about. If you develop prolonged bleeding (more than 8-9 days), then see your doctor. Some hormone pills will resolve the bleeding. Otherwise, nature will take care of it in time. Best wishes.