Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, years of experience in the field of Surgery and Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Im pregnant and have severe nasal congestion 3

Customer Question

Im pregnant and have severe nasal congestion for past 3 weeks.... I also have allergies and been using afrin for years i know it isnt good but im sort of addicted right now afrin isnt helping much i tried other things nothing seeming to help now for past
two days i cant taste or smell and very uncomfortable
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.
If you have nasal congestion and nasal blockage you can start on OTC Xylometazoline 1 puff thrice a day in each nostril. Since, you have had the congestion for 3 weeks now, chronic sinusitis should be considered and ruled out. I would suggest that you have your nasal passages examined by your PCP and seek a referral to an ENT specialist. This is especially because you are pregnant and special care is warranted in your case.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have more queries about this.
Best.