Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

How can i lose weight and conceive with having PCOS?

Customer Question

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Losing weight and conceiving, while related, are two separate things.
Losing weight is difficult for many people, as evidenced by our obesity epidemic. When a woman has PCOS, the basic problem is a lack of ovulation. That may be caused by obesity, but as far as we know, the PCOS doesn't cause obesity.
So losing weight can help you to ovulate. But many women who are not able to lose weight can also be helped to ovulate using medication, namely Clomid.
Usually, careful eating and daily exercise will enable a person to gradually lose weight. Most people gradually put weight on, and it's best to gradually take it off.
I would see your doctor for help both with losing weight, and with ovulating if you're not able to lose weight. Best wishes.