Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.
13781349

My daughter just had a miscarriage last Sunday. She is 37

Customer Question

My daughter just had a miscarriage last Sunday.
She is 37 and this is her first pregnancy. She has been having problems from the beginning with some bleeding. Her doctor saw some else separate from the fetus that she thought might be an undeveloped twin. Last Sunday she got worse and we took her to the emergency room. They did a procedure, not a d &c and said that all the tissue came out. As of today she is still having strong cramps. Is this normal? Had a miscarriage myself but never had this problem.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
I think it not too abnormal for her to still have some cramps and discomfort about 1 week after miscarriage and then needing the added procedure to help clear out the uterus. Now I think that they would have checked her uterus and it looked clear after the procedure. This sequence of events would be of potential concern too for risk of secondary infection. If she should have worsening symptoms>> pelvic pain>> fever>> increased discharge would be of concern.
So I would say her cramps may have benefit for her to try Ibuprofen high dose ---800mg three times a day with food....
I think the extra material was probably not a twin but likely remnants of the placenta....
I would expect her bleeding should have tapered off by now.
Cramping I would watch for other signs of concern...so increase pelvic pain, fever, nausea and I would advise that she hey checked ....
Cramping only I would start with the Advil and watch....
I hope that this is helpful for you.If you have further questions or discussion I would be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!!
Anthony Bray MD