Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Odds of being pregnant; LMP 5/31/15; unprotected intercourse

Customer Question

odds of being pregnant; LMP 5/31/15; unprotected intercourse June 8; spotting today 6/13. ave cycle length approx 28.5 days, yet varies from 20-40 days
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
You're unlikely to get pregnant 9 days after your period starts, but it's not impossible. With the variation in your periods, it's likely that you don't ovulate some months.
The spotting doesn't mean much. It's unlikely to be implantation bleeding, if that's what you're wondering. With periods from 20-40 days, it's unusual if you haven't had some spotting during the month before this.
The negative ovulation test on 6/8 also doesn't mean much. You might have had a positive one on 6/9 or 6/10, in which case pregnancy could occur.
But altogether I would guess that the odds of being pregnant are less than 1 out of 10. Best wishes.