Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I would like a second opinion, I have a fibroid and

Customer Question

Hello, I would like a second opinion, I have a fibroid and polyp in my uterus which is causing very heavy and painful menstruation for a while now, my gyn prescribed amethia lo birth control pills to decrease my symptoms. I've been on pills now for two
months. Which has caused breakthrough and spotting for 29 days. I also expressed hair loss, I was having issues with hair loss before due to iron deficiency ,which now is great. I was told amethia pills didn't cause hair loss. Hard to believe. Now due to my
hair loss, I'm being told to go Ethynodiol Diac- Eth Estrodiol for hair loss...would this help.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please share any birth control pills that can help with heavy bleeding and prevent hair loss..
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
You will continue to get bleeding or spotting on and off till the polyp is removed. Birth control pills may stop the bleeding temporarily but this is not a permanent treatment.
Amethia does not cause hair loss.
Your hair loss is probably due to anemia (low hemoglobin in the blood) due to the heavy blood loos you have suffered.
Please consult an Obgyn - the polyp will need to be removed. The fibroid may also need to be removed if it is causing the bleeding - which is quite possible.
You will also need blood tests for your hemoglobin level.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of my test results came back normal, iron, thyroids,hemoglobin etc. had these tests done two weeks ago. since I was bleeding for almost a month it was a major concern that my iron level would go down, but I was taking iron pills entire time and it seemed to have helped. According to test results from hospital all blood work came back normal. Why wouldn't amethia cause hair loss? One of the side effects for this pill is loss of scalp hair. Can you please explain why pill wouldn't cause this? Also, since I've only been on it for two months, and my body needed time to adjust should I give it more time as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, for the past 5 days now I have no heavy bleeding or clotting. Very very light spotting. Being 2 months on amethia pills now. I'm being told if I do surgery, there's a high risk of fibroid and polyp growing back again since I'm in premenopausal stages.That is why I'm being given other alternatives to control period as you can see.