Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am weaning off Zoloft and I have been hit with priapism.

Customer Question

I am weaning off Zoloft and I have been hit with priapism. This is horrible. Is it a known side effect of coming off Zoloft. I am a 68 year old female. Help! I have been on Zoloft for over five years have not cut my dosage down to half the original.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
The treatment of choice for female priapism is the use of pseudoephedrine and pain medications. Depending on where you live, it may be necessary to have a prescription for pseudoephedrine. This medication used to be over the counter but since it can be diverted for illegal uses, now most states restrict sales.
So if you have an established primary care doctor or gynecologist, they should be able to prescribe the necessary medications for you.
I hope you get relief soon. This is a very painful condition.
Please let me know if I can clarify anything or provide more details.