Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have irregular periods and I'm not on birth control. My last

Customer Question

I have irregular periods and I'm not on birth control. My last period was around April 21 and lasts about 5-6days. I have sex on 5/31 and unfortunately condom breaks. I take plan b next morning about 9 hours of the incident. Its June 11th and I have no period yet
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Plan b can cause the next period to be early or late. Plan b decreases the chance of pregnancy over 90%, especially when taken early such as you did.
So I think pregnancy is very unlikely. It's a little early to do a pregnancy test. Usually it's best to wait at least 14 days from last sex, which would be June 14.
So I doubt that you're pregnant, and that the late period is due to plan b. I would wait until June 14 to do a pregnancy test, and if it's negative, I would believe it. Perhaps your period will come before then.
You can do pregnancy tests earlier, but it usually just increases your frustration by getting more negative tests that you can't rely on. Best wishes.