Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am looking up info on multiple periods in one month. I was

Customer Question

I am looking up info on multiple periods in one month. I was regular up to about 6 weeks ago. Im 39 no children - having a period of 4 days each time in the 6 weeks. Im afraid of losing my eggs! do want to get pregnant in the future.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Multiple periods in a month strongly suggests that you haven't ovulated for the past 6 weeks or so.
Ovulation is what keeps periods regular and normal. If a woman doesn't ovulate, she may still get a period, but the uterine lining may not clean off with the period, and then builds up. That can lead to another period too soon, or sometimes to irregular spotting.
You're correct that the frequent periods and not ovulating are related to a loss of eggs. It's pretty common at age 39. Since you wish to become pregnant, I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation. There are pills that can help you to ovulate.
Fertility decreases with age as well, so no woman age 39 is as fertile as she was at 29. However, since you had regular periods up until 6 weeks ago, there is a very good chance that you can get pregnant.
There are tests that can be done to help to show "ovarian reserve" and give some idea about chances for pregnancy. However, most likely it's just a matter of ovulating each month for a while, and you'll be pregnant. But I wouldn't wait too long, since your fertility decreases every year. Best wishes.