Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am 5 weeks pregnant. I used tilex mold and mildew spray to

Customer Question

I am 5 weeks pregnant. I used tilex mold and mildew spray to clean 2 bathrooms in my house. I wore gloves and covered my nose and mouth with a towel while i sprayed. The window was open and vent fan was on. I left both bathrooms while the product worked and only returned briefly to rinse the surfaces. To the best of my knowledge, none came in contact with my skin. Afterwards, I still noticed a strong smell of bleach throughout my house. I opened all windows and ran the air conditioner but I could smell it until I left the house a couple hours later. I am terrified I have caused birth defects to my child. I'm so conscious of everything I do when pregnant (eat all organic, no hair dye, no pesticides, etc). I truthfully have no idea what I was thinking other than the bathrooms are a mess. Any advice is appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
The smell of bleach does not cause birth defects. Normal household cleaning products do not cause birth defects. While the smell of cleaning products may be strong, this does not mean that they are vapors that you breath into your lungs. You do not need to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But although I held a towel up when I sprayed it, I presumably could have inhaled the spray containing bleach or when I returned to the bathroom to rinse it. Could a minimal one time exposure cause birth defects?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in both bathrooms for less than 15 minutes total (applying spray and rinsing). I did throroughly cover both showers so a lot of spray was used.