Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I haven't had my period years since the delivery of my

Customer Question

i haven't had my period for 2 years since the delivery of my 1st child. i want 2nd baby now
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How old are you?
Do you use anything for birth control?
Are you breastfeeding?
Were you having normal periods before you got pregnant? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am 30
no birthcontrol except condoms
no breastfeeding
yes normal period
Did you have a D&C after delivery, or any other complications?
Has your weight changed much since before your pregnancy? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had a c-section.... i have gained much weight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i come back in around 3:30
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have to go now and come back at 3:30
Not having a period for 2 years usually means that you haven't ovulated for 2 years, since ovulation is what brings on a period 2 weeks later.
The reason for not ovulating is probably the increased weight. For some reason gaining (or losing) much weight can cause a woman to stop ovulating.
Your doctor can confirm whether you're ovulating or not by a blood progesterone, since progesterone only rises after ovulation. Taking some progesterone pills for a week or so and then stopping should bring on a period. That will also confirm that you're not ovulating.
If in fact you're not ovulating, then there are 2 ways to start ovulating. One is to lose weight. The other is with pills called Clomid. By taking them for 5 days each month, they will usually cause ovulation to occur. Once ovulation occurs, you'll either get a period 2 weeks later, or you'll be pregnant. Once you're ovulating every month, it generally takes a few months or more to become pregnant.
So I would recommend seeing your doctor for evaluation and treatment.
If you have further questions when you get back, please ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i went to the doctor yesterday and he gave me tablets of apo-medroxy 5mg...will that help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also take medication for schizophrenia
Yes, apo-medroxy is a type of progesterone, and that should bring on a period. That will help to confirm that you're not ovulating and bring on a period, but you would still need Clomid pill to help you to ovulate.
Another possibility is that the schizophrenia medication might be inhibiting ovulation. They can sometimes do that by raising your blood levels of prolactin. It's probably worthwhile to test your blood prolactin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay how do i get clomid pill in toronto
In the US it requires a doctor's prescription, and I think it probably does in Toronto as well. It's also best that you take it under a doctor's supervision, so that you'll know when and if you're ovulating. We start at a low dose and increase if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u in the US
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay..thx for ur help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will contact a doctor in toronto
You're welcome.
Good luck!